Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Performance Review

I feel that the performance was an overall success. It was effective to establish interest in these four characters by forcing the audience to question the relation to our characters to each other, but more importantly to the viewer themselves. We've now engraved ourselves within the subconscious of all who viewed the performance, which when it comes time for the movie screening, will work in our favor.

It was important that we did not have any sort of interaction with the audience, r to stimulate curiosity, and as a whole, we did this very effectively. We all managed to ignore people speaking directly to us, avoid direct eye contact, and create a general separation between "us" and "them". The most effective point in the performance, to my mind, was when Wesly did his scream. Just as the audience had accepted what we were doing, and the general confusion (or curiosity) had subsided, Wesly's scream silenced the entire room (even for just on moment) and drew our performance back into the center of attention.

The audience seemed generally confused, many of them asking us what was going on, which, yielded no results for them. The audiences reactions to our non-responsiveness varied from "Oh, this is a performance" to being angry that they were being ignored. We successfully created an illusion that we did not exist on the same plane as them, as if what was occurring in the reality of the situation was not occurring to us.

Personally, I was pleased that I managed to look no persons in the eyes (excluding those performing with me). Going in I was afraid that I may break character and laugh at the situation, but generally, I feel that I managed to keep it together. I wanted to stare through people, not at them; I guess to me, it is far more unnerving to be completely not recognized rather than ignored.

We documented the event through still photography. We had a friend lined up to show p as we were performing and take photos of us, the audience, and all surroundings of the scene.

I have always been interested in incorporating performance in my work, but have always had inhibition when dealing with staying in character effectively. This performance helped me get over that, I showed myself that If I really do concentrate on getting into the psychology of the character beforehand, that I can remove myself from myself and live vicariously through said character.

No comments:

Post a Comment